Saturday, June 27, 2009

Happy Accidents








Sunday June 21st






So I decided to leave the lovely Plattsburgh for a little while and head on home to Huntington Long Island.  A very frantic packing and running around morning at 9am and then off on the road I go. Along the way I realized I am too tired to drive and I must pull over to get some coffee or food in ma belly. I come near the Saratoga exit, and knowing it’s a busy little town I figure Ill find something here to satiate my hunger. After a second thought I realized in the time it’ll take me to stop and get food I might as well stop in a small town and eat somewhere kitsch and nice. So along I go down i87 for another couple of miles. I find myself taking the round lake exit and seeing a sign for a place called the MY WAY CAFÉ. I follow the signs to find the restaurant and en route I pass a few people gardening away in the sun. I think to myself how great it is that their outside on a day like today and how I hope THE FOOD Group’s Garden on campus comes to be as large as this one I’m seeing now as I drive vie. So I keep [uttering along and find the MY WAY CAFÉ - only to see that it’s closed. Still with high hopes I turn around and decide to head back to the garden and ask the nice locals where’s a good place to stop - also giving myself an opportunity to ogle their produce. I pull along the residential street and walk over to an older couple (lets say early 60’ for good measure). 








After about 20 minutes of telling them my story and about the communal garden on campus they decide they must give me some Brussels sprouts to plant and some lettuce for the ride home – HOW NICE! The older woman of the couple then says to me.” that’s funny that you graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh, my grandson just started there, he’s a freshmen so you probably don’t know him – but he’s mentioned a garden before “ Before she even finished her second syllable I knew who I had just met! Oliver’s Grandma! WHAT A SMALL WORLD!!! So we Hugged and we talked about Oliver and then she showed me around other people’s plots and gave me a few gardening tips. THANKS GRANDMA! 

After a few more minute of sharing pleasantries and plant jargon I headed on my way down the road to check out this Round Lake the town is named after... and what a site !!! 



 After a quick run around in the rain! eek back down i87 for an Eventful week on Long Island

No comments: